Tuesday 22 June 2010

Alkborough Flats and Humber Bridge

These images are of Flowering Rush down on Alkborough Flats - not a true rush but a member of the Water Soldier family.  I have never seen them anywhere else in the Scunthorpe area so its nice to have this one small group - I took them on Sunday in between sneezing my head off with hay fever and being bitten to death by midges. A single Spoonbill was present on the main lagoon.  Last night we had a visit down to Messingham Sand Quarries where I was lucky enough to see the Otter again - unfortunately one of the Otter family has been found run over very close to the reserve.  In total we had 45 species in a couple of hours including an unexpected Barn Owl appearing in the entrance of the owl box.



It occurred to me that we only live 10 minutes away from the Humber Bridge and yet I have never put a photo of it on my blog - this was taken this morning in glorious sunlight.  The bridge at one time held the record for the world's longest single span suspension bridge - today it is more famous for its high tolls!





No comments:

Post a Comment