Thursday 1 October 2009

Hornet in North Lincolnshire

Two weeks ago I "bumped into" a Hornet at the bottom of the garden catching Hover flies feeding on the ivy.  As we only have very rare sightings of Hornets up here in North Lincs I rushed back to the house to get my camera but as usual in these cases by the time I returned it had flown off!  However as luck would have it my brother down in Kent has just posted some fabulous shots on his blog of a Queen Hornet mating in his garden so I have "borrowed" one of his shots but to see the really good ones click on the link below - As I understand we are at the very edge of its northerly limit. 

.http://theshadoxhurstgarden.blogspot.com/2009/09/garden-nuptial-hornets.html


1 comment:

  1. Hi Clare,this species has been in the north of the county for a couple of years now as far as my records go and i found an active colony at Crowle last summer.I have also seen several insects at Messingham.There is also another similar species to look out for,Median Wasp, which i have also seen at several sites in the county including Messingham,this is a recent coloniser to the UK and looks similar to Hornet.I have got a few photo's of this species on my flickr page.Steve.

    ReplyDelete