Friday 8 October 2010

NORMANBY’S RED DEER RUT UNDERWAY

Great drama in the Park this morning as the Red Deer rut reaches a crescendo – I knew as soon as I walked into the ‘arena’ that things had progressed since yesterday, as I noticed lots of roughed up ground where the stags had been digging their antlers in.  The smell of the grass as I walked through was also pungently strong due to the scent marking of the Stags so…..
here is the group of Hinds which is being carefully watched over by one dominant Stag
red deer 2 008























and here he is!
red deer 2 010
he is exceptionally loud at the moment
red deer 2 011
and very wary – you have to keep your distance hiding behind trees as they spook so easily
red deer 2 017
here is one of him ground gouging with his antlers
red deer 2 018 red deer 2 021 red deer 2 024 red deer 2 027 red deer 2 032 red deer 2 035 red deer 2 037
and here is the contender – I couldn’t understand why this this Stag wasn’t as nervous as the main herd – I kept getting closer and closer but he just didn’t seem aware of me
red deer 2 044 red deer 2 047
It was until I downloaded the photos and zoomed in that I understood why he wasn’t nervous – he couldn’t see me! his eye has been badly damaged probably by the dominant stag and the nights activity – obviously a big battle has gone on here but he isn’t giving in – although he is 300-400 metres from the main group he is still bellowing out making his presence heard
red deer 2 052 red deer 2 055 red deer 2 058
I can’t wait to see how the rut progresses – apart from these two Stags there are 3-4 others, currently keeping their distance but who knows when and who the next challenger will be.

1 comment: