Saturday 27 July 2013

Woundwort Shieldbug - Eysarcoris fabricii

Armed with stool, walking stick and bucketfuls of painkillers I made my first venture out of the garden with Wayne this morning in the hope(in our dreams) of bumping into a  Two-Barred Crossbill as you can imagine no Crossbills or at least Two-Barreds were seen but we did finally come across a known patch of one of my favourite plants Herb Paris which I had been dying to see and in the same area we found this Woundwort Shieldbug 4th instar, now I sound like an expert but in reality I just googled it and have never heard the tem “instar” before but presumably it’s an early stage of adulthood!  On the bird front today we have seen a Red Kite, Med Gull, Yellow Legged Gull, 2 Whimbrel, 565 Avocet on the humber and 2 Common Crossbills over the garden.

IMG_5542

Herb ParisIMG_5544

Now I have discovered an urge in me to identify all Bumblebees in the garden I find myself looking further a field, the trouble is the more I try to identify them the more confused I get.  I’m not even going to attempt these two except to say I think the first is a Cuckoo and the second a Social - I really need an expert so if anyone out there …….IMG_5549

IMG_5553

1 comment:

  1. Are your Red Kites from the Harewood House population, or wanderers from further afield? I live in Colchester and we are waiting for the Rockingham Forest population to spread closer!

    ReplyDelete